Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chile Colorado Con Carne (Red Chile w/meat)

One of my favorite dishes growing up was my mom's Chile Colorado. It was the best! And now I get to make it for my family and friends. First I will share with you how to make the red chile sauce which you can use for a multitude of things (chile colorado, enchiladas, tamales, etc, etc). Then I will describe how to make the chile colorado con carne (w/the meat).











Red Chile Sauce

Dry red chile pods (you can use mild, medium or hot...depends on your preference...I like HOT)
Fresh Garlic
Salt

De-vein chile pods and wash with warm water
Put in container, and fill with hot water
Bring to a boil until chile pods are soft and turn a lighter red color
Remove a few at a time along with liquid into blender
Add garlic and salt
Puree
Strain sauce into large container





Meat

Pork shoulder or pork butt
Olive oil
Marjoram flakes
Salt



Cut into small cubed pieces and saute in warm olive oil on low heat. Saute until all pieces cooked thoroughly. The meat will release it's own juices. Add marjoram flakes (maybe a teaspoon or so) and salt. Continue cooking until liquids dry up.

Once meat is cooked and juices have dried up, add chile sauce. You can add as much as you'd like depending on the consistency you prefer. Let it simmer on low heat for at least 20-30 min.





1 comment:

Lylah Ledner said...

i absolutely LOVE this girl...

hey...so sorry i didn't call you back :-(....gosh...don't know what happened...

love u...'me'