Friday, April 18, 2008

South Mountain




















We've hiked South Mountain twice so far, and it's been quite interesting to say the least. The first time we hiked it, 2 weeks ago, our plan was to hike Mormon Loop, which is a balloon shaped trail that begins at around 24th St & Baseline. Notice how I said "intended". Well, we were not aware that there was also a Mormon Trail which connects to Mormon Loop and also the National Trail. As a result, we ended up hiking all of the Mormon Trail and Mormon Loop and part of the National Trail. (We made a few wrong turns on the way!!) So this increased our hiking distance to twice of what we originally intended. Thankfully, as some point (maybe a mile or so) while on the National Trail heading west, I mentioned to my hiking buddy that I thought we were going the wrong way. We debated a bit and eventually turned back. Thankfully, it was a smart move. So what should have been maybe a 1.5 - 2 hr hike turned into a 3.5 hr hike. Yikes...I know...I know. Now one thing you have to understand is that he is the guy with the book, so I trust that he's got these trails memorized by the time we get to the trail head. BIG mistake. But gullible as I can be, I let him lead (he sounds so convincing when he says "now we have to turn left", etc). I should have learned this from a conference we both attended years ago in Kansas City. We were going to Jacks Stack (bbq place) for dinner. It is about 3 blocks away from the hotel. Not bad, I thought. And my buddy said he knew where it was located. Ok, we set off to Jacks Stack. Well, about 6-7 blocks later, we get there. He took us through the scenic route!!! But anyhow, without digressing too much, I was pretty tired by the end of that hike. So, we went back the following week, and did almost the same trail, but started at a different trail head, and hiked the trail from the opposite direction...much easier that time. All in all, great hikes, and the area is beautiful. We had to pass through a few very cool places. And of course, also admired our precious city with its pollution. Gosh, really is an eye opener to what we breath in daily! Ughh!!!




This is the famous Fat Man's Pass. Whew, thankfully, I could still make it through!!!

No comments: